- 1 History
- 2 Personality
- 3 Relationships
- 4 Notes and Trivia
- 5 Gallery
- 6 Notable Episodes
Basically Tom wanted to be a police officer and barely made it out of the police academy. He stated that he did not like high school.
His father, Tom Hanson Sr., was a police officer. When he was killed in the line of duty, Hanson Jr. decided to become a police officer to get justice and to help other victims.
Becoming a Police Officer
Tom literally took the job of his father. The partner he was assigned to retired by the end of Season One.
Joining the Jump Street Program
He was a competent police officer. However, he was so reckless that he was going to have to be demoted to Filing Staff or be Transferred. Since everything about Tom is so youthful he was perfect for Jump Street. Tom commented that he loathed High Schools. Even more annoying is that his new Captain and the Station itself were very Slovenly. His Sargent was No Nonsense and did not like him for a while. All the other officers had slightly more experience than Tom. It was necessary for them and Captain Jenko to guide Tom through his many more mistakes, much to Tom's annoyance. During Tom's span at Jump Street he considered quitting since he clearly did not have the temperament needed to be a Police Officer. His time at Jump Street was supposed to last at least 10 years. By Season 4, he appeared in fewer Assignments and by Season 5, zero Assignments. Like many Characters, Tom was not written out of the series.
Murder Trial and Aftermath
Tragedy in El Salvador
Assignment with the Biker Gang
Hanson took the advice and became the Mentor for somebody that was released from State School.
When he was very young his father, Tom Hanson Sr. was a police officer who was killed in the line of duty after an altercation that turned into a shootout.
Notes and Trivia
- In 21 Jump Street (episode), Hanson was said to be top of his class at the academy.
- In 21 Jump Street (episode), Hanson mentions to his first captain (unnamed) that he was 21 years old. In the same episode, Hanson mentions to Captain Richard Jenko that he was 5 years old the year Woodstock occurred. If he was 21 years old in 1987, he would have been born in 1966 (at the very earliest 1965, if he were turning 22 that year), which would have made him 3 (or 4) years old in 1969 when Woodstock was put on.
- In 21 Jump Street (episode), Hanson reveals that he is a Republican.
- Johnny Depp received $45,000 per episode to portray Tom Hanson.
- In Chapel of Love, Hanson shares his story on how his father was killed in the line of duty during prom night.
These episodes are Hanson-centric or are otherwise very informative about his life.